Sunday, April 27, 2008

This Dude is Heading West

My time in Jackson is done for now. I leave tomorrow morning for a straight shot drive to San Francisco that will hopefully take less than 15 hours. Thank God for cruise control!

With today being my last day in town, I made it special by waking up at 4:45 am and watching the sunrise from the top of Mount Glory. After a 75-minute hike up "Glory", I was reveling in the morning time beauty of this area. It was great motivation to look back and think of how amazing the past five-months have been for me. I feel fortunate that I had and took advantage of this opportunity because it will be one of my greatest accomplishments.

While living here, I've learned alot about myself and the surrounding area and its culture. One particular interesting tidbit is the origin of the word "dude". It was used by cowboys and ranchers to describe city folk that vacationed with them on their land. The cowboys and ranchers found it entertaining to see these relatively well-dressed people participating in the same activities as themselves.

I'll be sure to have alot to write about in the near future. For right now, I'm exhausted from packing my apartment and being on an endless run of errands and work assignments in the past few days. Wish me luck on my drive home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed all your postings throughout your adventure. I'm glad you sent the email to check the last few because I hadn't seen any for awhile, and I didn't check this past weekend, so it was fun reading these Monday morning to start my week. I'll see you back in SF!

The Freak

Anonymous said...

j
Don't forget about "the dude of life"

for those of you who don't know about "the dude of life" check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dude_of_Life

Unknown said...

Hey Dude,

Sound like a Beatles song??? So proud of you that you fulfilled one of your dreams. I do believe this is only the beginning of all you can accomplish in your lifetime. Congrats and hope to see you in May.

Love,
Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman

Chris Handy said...

Hey, you don't know me, but I would LOVE to talk to you a bit about Jackson Hole. I am doing exactly what you did last season, this season, and I could really use some advice about life in Jackson.

My name is Chris, and if you could email me at cchandy@gmail.com, I would appreciate is so much.

Have a good one.