Friday, April 18, 2008

Day 82!

It was good to be back on skis today. It was the first time since closing day on April 6th. During this time of year, every turn has to be earned by hiking around the beautiful Teton Mountain Range.

The most popular place to earn your turns is on Mount Glory. It's on the crest of the Teton Pass that connects Jackson, WY to Victor, ID. After hiking for 75-minutes, you are in the heart of the Teton Valley that blankets both Wyoming and Idaho. The peaks are still snow covered and are magnificent in their layered depth appearance. When looking deep into the range, it seems like the options for backcountry skiing are endless. It's just about determination and mountain awareness. The great thing about the people in this area is you know that every ski line that you eye has been skiied no matter its steepness or its exposure to cliff bands.

I skiied down a run called First Turn, which I skiied earlier in the season. It was nice to be carving turns and feeling weightless as I connected them. It's the freedom and fluidity that I love about skiing so much. Even though the run down was less than ten minutes, it brought a big smile on my face and made me realize how lucky I am to be living here.

No comments: