Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"Fresh Tracks and Throwing Bombs"

For anyone that really knows me, this blog title speaks volumes about me. As a skier, I'm always looking for the weightless feeling experienced while skiing "fresh tracks" in powder. As an Eagle Scout and a son of a Fireman, I became fond of fire and fireworks at a young age and have never lost my excitement for this natural wonder and man-made art form, respectively.

Since I leave tomorrow for San Francisco, I wanted to catch up with my buddy, Carl, over a few beers at the brew pub (aka the Snake River Brewery). He's a character, like most people that live in Jackson, and has the bug that doesn't allow him to get in enough skiing or outdoor activity, just like the rest of us. He's made living in Jackson a little easier for me by pointing me in the right direction and occasionally sharing his time with me.

It was good to chat with Carl. It's always amusing, but a little more so tonight. At one point, he clearly painted a picture of the life of a ski patroller with the words that comprise the blog title. It's the job of the ski patroller to make a ski resort safe before the public accesses the mountain by triggering avalanches through the use of bombs. In order to complete this task, they have the pleasure of being on the mountain early each day and skiing any new snow. Obviously, his description is a simple view and doesn't mention their heroic acts during times of need. Nevertheless, we both agreed that "Fresh Tracks and Throwing Bombs" sounded like the coolest job description ever... Sign me up!

No comments: