Monday, February 18, 2008

Koda and His New Threads

Koda has been strolling around town in style. Thanks to my Mom, his chocolate colored sweater fits him like a glove. And, he doesn't mind wearing it. Laura and I believe that he waits for us to put it on him before he wants to go outside here in Wyoming.

As you can see in the photo above, he's also a big fan of his new Muttluks, or his little boots. Originally, I was against the idea of him wearing them. I figured that he'd be fine because I haven't seen any dogs wearing them in town. Then, I learned that terriers are susceptible to getting uncomfortable snow balls stuck in their paws after we went hiking with him. It's a good thing that my girlfriend knows better than me.

While on the hike pictured above, we had a little scare. To give you a brief history, Koda does very well off-lease when he's playing with other dogs, especially ones that come when they're called by their owners. It's when he's left to his own will that he gets himself into trouble.

When walking on this beautiful trail that's close to and runs parallel to the Teton mountains, he climbed over a short snow bank and started trudging through the snow. At first, this action seemed harmless and entirely adventuresome. Then, he walked further from the trail and in the direction of a stream.

After a few unsuccessful calls to him, I started walking towards him in the knee-deep snow. Then, I started running after him once he began to slide on crust covered snow towards the stream. At this point, it was clear to me that he couldn't stop himself. Thankfully, I reached him just in time to grab his tail, as he was just a few feet away from a four foot drop off into the stream.

As my Dad said, this type of behavior is exactly what we signed up for by getting a terrier that is naturally willful and adventurous. With his young age, it's only the beginning...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great photo! You should submit that to a contest...