Monday, February 4, 2008

"The 'Bird"

I feel like a broken record. It was another deep powder ski day. This time around was at Snowbird, where there was chest deep powder in some spots. It was pretty ridiculous. Thankfully, Utah has the lightest snow in the world, so this amount of snow was skiiable.

I skiied by myself today, so I was picked up by a shuttle bus service in Park City. The 45-minute drive went by pretty quickly until we hit a long of traffic at the mouth of Little Cottonwoood canyon. During the night before, Snowbird and the other resorts in this canyon received over two feet of snow, which caused the canyon road to be closed in the early morning for avalanche control. As we waited 30-minutes for the road to open, I was entertained by a howling and indiscernible coyote in a nearby open field and read one article after another about the Giants' unbelievable Super Bowl win in USA Today.

When we finally got to the resort, the tram line was long. Everyone was in full gear to get their own share of deep, light powder. It was the classic powder day at a resort that's well-known for their great snowfall. I spent most of the day finding and weaving my way through the large bowls, steep chutes and narrow trees of this world-reknown resort. This resort has so much exciting and thrilling terrain that I think it would be another great mountain to spend a full winter season at.

I feel like the snow keeps following me and I can do no wrong this season. It's been just enough that the skiing has been out-of-this-world, but not too much where I can't get to my ski destination, which was a common problem for the winter of 2005-06 when I was a weekend warrior at Kirkwood in Lake Tahoe. I've lost track of the number of powder days. It's pretty amazing to think that powder days have become the norm and the expected, especially when the infrequent inch or two back east would be a field day for me.

No comments: