Friday, February 8, 2008

A Close Encounter

I have my first visitors, Aimee and Max. Aimee is a good friend from high school and Max is her husband, who I've gotten to know quite well over the past 10 years. They're avid skiers, who have access to their cousin's beautiful second home. Jackson is known for its high rollers, as many movie stars and C-level business executives have amazing houses here. This house was no different, as it was a classic (and well-furnished) log cabin that could easily sleep 16 people and had a great view of the Teton Mountain range and the ski resort because it sat on the side of a butte. (By the way, a butte is a hill that rises abruptly from the surrounding area and has sloping sides and a flat top.) I'm hoping that I can figure out a way to house sit; I think I could handle it.

On my way to pick up Aimee and Max for their first ski day, I had a close encounter. As I was driving up the butte and around a bend, I was greeted by a moose that was running down the hill towards me. Ever since being hit by the deer, I'm always on the lookout for animals that want to lovingly meet my car.

As this moose ran towards me, I realized that there wasn't anything that I could do to get out of the moose's way. The road was narrow and the snow banks were high. This 600-pound animal would have to decide whether or not it wanted to take me and my car head on. Thankfully, it trotted happily into a nearby driveway and I could get on my way. What a nice and relaxing way to start off a day, right?!

1 comment:

Welsh Family said...

This is all we get?! A side note in a post about a moose and a quick thank-you for taking that great picture?! Nothing else??!! Nothing else about our visit?! You make me sad.