Monday, December 17, 2007

The Story of the Day

My external hard drive just died on me. It was padded well in my check-in luggage and must've been irreversibly shakened en route to NY. Unfortunately, I've learn my lesson the hard way this time.

If you know of a reasonably priced data recovery service or tool, please leave me a comment. My Lacie hard drive is 250 GB and has 60-70 GB of stored data on it. At this point, the few data recovery services that I have talked to today have quoted me for $1,500-3,000, which I find humorous and ironic for a piece of hardware that's a tenth of the price. Just like my car accident, these shops are looking to make a small fortune on me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude, i just had that problem and yeah, they're bitches. Staples doesn't make you pay shipping to send it out to CA somewhere for their data recovery center. but ultimatly, they told me mine was damaged beyond repair. I got that from a couple places online as well. I started with a local place in Seattle, then sent it off with the place Best Buy uses, then Staples. They all told me I was screwed like a jew on xmas.

I check in on you once in awhile and I'm happy you're happy. hope you don't kill yourself. wish me happy birthday (12/19 i'm 30) and congrats on my baby girl (Lucy Laprille) feb 24th...so far. Yeah I hope to keep her off the pole when she grows up. Aside from that, what's a father good for?

merry xmas and happy ny,
abe geller