Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Avalanche Training Course

I took the day off from skiing to give my legs a much needed rest from the daily abuse of skiing the steeps and trees of Jackson Hole. The past few days have been so intense both snow- and ski-wise that my legs feel like jelly today. Besides, I've gotten my money's worth in the past five days by skiing hard in constant knee-deep powder that these memories alone will last me to until at least tomorrow. Right? I knew you'd agree with me.

Since I had some free time today, I decided to run a couple of errands in town, including registering for an Avalanche Level 1 Certification course that's offered here next week by Exum Mountain Guides. This course will prepare me to ski in the backcountry, where the terrain is not managed and your safety resides solely in your and your friends' hands. In particular, I will learn how to predict avalanche dangers, read and understand the interaction between the different snow levels of a snowpack, and, most importantly, find avalanche victims. Because avalanches should never be taken lightly, it's important to arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible to make sure that you don't get caught in one.

You must be wondering, why would I ever want to ski in the backcountry and put myself in danger? Well, there are alot of good reasons. Most importantly, it can be safe and fun when it's done right. It's also great being in the great outdoors with a handful of close friends and feeling like no one else is around you. Then, there's the beauty factor of the Teton Mountain Range, which has some of the best mountain views in the world. Lastly, I'll become a much better skier. And, in the end, isn't this last fact the point of it all?!?

No comments: