Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 60... What a Beauty!

I can't believe today was my 60th ski day of the season. It's unbelievable to think that we're this far into the season. Also, it's unreal for me to reach this mark because I've never done it before or even come close to in another season. Before this season, I think the most ski days that I ever had in a season was 38, which was eclipsed a month ago with over a month to go!

Today was a beauty. We received seven inches of snow over night and roughly two more inches throughout the day. The weather has been warm recently, so it was also nice to have a colder high temperature (around 25°F) for the day. This colder temp mixed in with cloudy skies is key because the snow is lighter due to less water content and doesn't form a top crust layer due to not baking in the sun.

I skied all day by myself and found myself laughing and giving myself high fives. It was nice to be out there on a Tuesday with no lift lines and be able to ski hard without any worries. Lately, I've been focusing on skiing fast and occasionally scaring myself by skiing narrow, steep chutes that are lined by either trees or rocks and have open exiting areas. These types of scares feel invigorating because they make me feel uncomfortable and under control at the same time. They also allow me to improve my bag of tricks by making me commit to straight lining it, which means I can't make a turn or shave my speed in any way until I'm in the exit area that's usually 20-40 feet below the entry point.

1 comment:

Welsh Family said...

Have you done Corbet's yet? Where's our wedding present?