Friday, March 14, 2008

The Best Ski Day of the Season... Hands Down.

What an unbelievable day! Now, I'm really starting to feel like a broken record. 22 inches of new snow made for the best ski day of the season. Hands down.

Justin and I headed out early with all of the other powder hounds. It's truly amazing to see everyone's determination to get up and get out early and reap the benefits of Mother Nature. Thankfully, the temperature has been cold in the past 36 hours, so the snow had a low water content and was light. Actually, it was the perfect consistency. It wasn't too light or too heavy. It was just right because it was easy to control your speed.

Instead of following everyone else up the Sublette chair, we headed to the Lower Faces and skiied Rawlins Bowl. For some reason, this slope was untouched; it was a beautiful sight.

As we made turns in the knee deep powder, plumes of snow traveled over our heads and engulfed us in our own little white worlds. Literally, every turn was a face shot (aka a skier's dream) and felt effortless and weightless. It was like we were traveling through another world... It was an other worldly, outer body experience. I'm getting the chills just reliving it.

There was one particular moment that will probably stand out as the best moment of my season. As most of you know, I don't loosely throw around these terms and do mean them. We were heading into a gully section that got increasingly narrower, like an hour glass. I was in seventh heaven, as I was weightlessly skiing through this cold smoke. It was all coming together. Turn after turn. Face shot after face shot. It got too much after the n-teenth face shot and mouth full of snow that I had to stop, clear my mouth and regain my breath because the snow had choked me.

It was a defining moment. I've always heard stories about this kind of ski experience. To have experienced it, I'm now more hooked than ever on skiing.

The icing on the cake was the charging female moose and her calf that were less than 10 feet from me at the end of this run. (Yes, I did write charging.) Because two skiers had gone before me around a blind turn, the mother was on the defensive and ready for blood. Thankfully, I was carrying enough speed around this turn and got to enjoy several more mind blowing runs in the Lower Faces.

No comments: