Friday, November 30, 2007

"Welcome to Wyoming"

Once I arrived in Jackson, it was evident immediately that I was no longer in San Francisco. The first person that I crossed paths with greeted me warmly with a "Howdy." To which I replied, "How's it going!", and thought to myself, "I've arrived in cowboy country!"

Since stepping foot in town, I've been decompressing and enjoying time by myself. In
the past few months, I didn't fully recognize how focused and stressed out I've been during this time. Putting myself in a smart position and making sure that everything worked out as planned has been draining on me. It was only until I got here that I felt a big relief and a load off of my shoulders. Now, I find myself often thinking, "I'm finally living the dream", with a big sigh.

Today, I received another warm introduction to mountain town life when a deer ran into my car. I was driving on the main town road, as this poor deer crossed two-lanes of traffic at just the right time that I never saw him and never had the chance to save him. It was so unexpected that I thought no one in their right mind would've expected something like this to happen during the daytime and on a road that had a steady stream of traffic in both directions. It didn't take very long to realize that I was wrong in my thinking. While talking with a Police officer over the accident report, he told me (and made me aware of) that "This is Wyoming. This kind of stuff happens all of the time... Welcome to Wyoming!"

Thankfully, I can drive my car to tomorrow's Opening Day at Jackson Hole Ski Resort. It's amazing to think of all that I've been through to make tomorrow a reality. Because of this long and winding road, I'll appreciate every moment. T - 14 hours to the first turns of the season...

3 comments:

Drago said...

Hey seems both locals and deer are welcoming you in their own ways... Did that poor deer survive? What did they do with it?

It seems that there is some snow based on your second pictures... good stuff!

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it. We just got our first snow storm last night and I was thinking of you. Thrilled you are living the dream as most people never get to do that.
Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman

Anonymous said...

hey john, sorry about your car. How much is it going to cost you? Oh and I'm practicing with Html. Its pretty cool this is a cool site