Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Road to Jackson

My adventure to live out a dream -- live in a ski town for a winter season -- has begun.

After fully packing my wagon yesterday, I made the trip to Jackson, WY from San Francisco, CA and pulled into my new apartment complex this morning at 5:30 am local time, or 4:30 am PST. It took 14.5 hours of constant driving to drive the 970 miles. Overall, the road trip was a good one, as the miles went by quickly, the weather cooperated with me, and there were few people on the road.

Along the way, I took notice of interesting events. They included:
  • My Favorite Town Names:
    • Contact, NV (I took note of this town name because this small town is literally in the middle of nowhere)
    • Winnemucca, NV (How often do you think the town's people get asked for the spelling of it?)
  • My Biggest Temptations:
    • Playing a slot machine in Jackpot, NV, which is just south of the Idaho border
    • Buying cheap (and legal) fireworks in Battle Mountain, NV
  • Total Cost of Gas: $106.21
  • No. of Stops: 4 (in the 14.5 hours!)
  • Music Playlist: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, David Bowie, Phish, Hot Chip, The Killers, Sigur Ros
  • Missed Turns: 1 (the people just south of Twin Falls, ID failed me with their hard to read highway signs)
  • Percentage of Dropped Calls: 66% (Thanks, Verizon)
  • Best Roadtrip Feature: CRUISE CONTROL!
  • Next Camping Trip Destination: Massacre Rocks State Park, ID (sign me up!)
  • Things to Never Underestimate: Rolling tumbleweeds that unexpectedly attack your car at nighttime
  • The Best Omen: Waking up in my new apartment to a snowstorm
It's been a long and great day. Stay tuned for more details.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Bon voyage.

Please send extra snow south.

Anonymous said...

I've been to Winnemucca! I think we even camped there. And Battle Mountain twice.
- Nancy

Anonymous said...

Winnemucca, a town referenced at least twice in popular culture:
1. in Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City book series
2. in Johnny Cash's song "I've been everywhere"

I can't believe you passed up an opportunity to buy fireworks.

Thanks for keeping us posted, John.

-Greg

Anonymous said...

John, I agree, cruise control is the best. I have also been to Winnemucca (more than once) and have flown over it many times while in the Air Force stationed at Castle AFB, California.

Layne Court said...

Nice post, keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

John, what a great journey. Always follow your dreams. I will forever regret the EC request to join him on tour. Ha!

It's not a good way to live your life thinking you shouda, coulda, if only you woulda.

Nice music playlist. Of course it started to get a little weak at the end. That would be the part that started with Phish. I once went to Woodstock without CSN&Y.

The Original

Unknown said...

Glad you are there safe and sound and that the tumbleweeds didn't getcha! I'm SUPER jealous that it's snowing! I miss that a lot.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I can't wait to read about your first day flyin' down the slopes.

The Freak

Navin said...

Nice!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you made it to your destination and how lucky to wake up to a snowstorm! We need some kind of precipitation out here in Northern CA. I was surpised to read about those pesky tumbleweeds! Keep on blogging dude!

Anonymous said...

Pretty good John... Keep it going...